Thursday, January 7, 2010

Intoxicating. Infuriating. Impossible. Love.

Looking forward to The Last Station.

About the last years of Tolstoy's life when he increasingly turned his back on his well heeled life and life long companion, in search for some peace and purity of thought and life. In running away from home at the grand age of 82, he wrote his wife, "''Along with everything else, I can no longer abide these luxurious conditions. What I am now doing is what old people have commonly done - leave their worldly life behind to spend their last days in peace and solitude."

This nebulous thing call love. A lifetime of joint memories and endeavors, support and passion, and it pitters to a silent ignoble end.


(Christoper Plummer and Helen Mirren as the Tolstoys)

(the originals)

Solitude and loneliness are but 2 faces of the same well worn coin.
Sofia Tolstoy wrote this diary entry in 19 November 1903:
"I went to [my husband's] room this evening as he was getting ready for bed, and realised I never hear a single word of comfort or kindness from him nowadays.

What I predicted indeed has come true: my passionate husband has died, and since he was never a friend to me, how could he be one to me now? This life is not for me. There is nowhere for me to put my energy and passion for life; no contact with people, no art, no work – nothing but total loneliness all day."
Catch the trailer here.

Read more of their lives together as captured in Sofia Tolstoy's diaries.

Added bonus – Christopher Plummer as Tolstoy. I’ve always nursed a secret crush for Captain Von Trapp, even if he did reportedly despise the role.

(as Tolstoy)

(as Captain Von Trapp)

(just plain heartthrob)

No comments:

Post a Comment